The Federation of the European Sporting Goods Industry (FESI) is the pre-competitive platform representing the interests of the sporting goods industry in Europe, advancing its members’ priorities and promoting initiatives that benefit the sector, EU citizens and the society as a whole.
Located in the core of the European institutions, FESI is the unique stakeholder that provides sporting goods companies with the possibility to leverage their expertise into one steady and coherent voice in Brussels, allowing them to benefit from the many advantages offered by the EU’s single market of nearly 500 million consumers.
FESI represents some 1 800 sporting goods companies either directly or indirectly, with a total annual turnover of about 81 billion €.
- Monitor and report on EU legislation and rules from European Sport Governing Bodies
- Develop strong networking opportunities for FESI members
- Provide guidance on the EU legislative and regulatory framework
- Engage in proactive policy discussions with the European institutions*
- Encourage and develop free, fair and sustainable trade and production of sporting goods
- Foster growth, jobs and innovation in the sporting goods sector
- Facilitate consumers’ access to sporting goods and equipment in a sustainable and competitive market
- Reduce red-tape of EU legislation
Profile the sporting goods sector in Europe
- Promote sport and physical activity: FESI is an official partner of the European week of sport
- Build a positive narrative of the sporting goods sector
- Explain the benefits of the sporting goods industry on Europe’s economy and the wellbeing of its citizens
- To become the driving actor in Europe truthfully representing all the stakeholders of the sport and physical activity industry.
Since its establishment in Brussels, FESI has forged many partnerships with various European initiatives and platforms, supporting the well-being of European citizens. In particular, FESI is one of the first official partners of the European Week of Sport, a European movement created by the European Commission to encourage people in Europe to practice more physical activity. In the framework of the 2020 edition of the European Week of Sport, FESI partnered with the European School Sport Day to get kids on the move.
Following the COVID-19 pandemic, FESI joined the #Sport4Recovery campaign to encourage policymakers to safely re-open organised sport as soon as possible.
In 2018, FESI also joined All Policies for a Healthy Europe, an intersectoral initiative created ahead of the European elections 2019 in order to ensure that citizen’s health and well-being be a core priority for Europe and a strategic objective for the next Commission.
FESI is also part of SHARE, an alliance for regional development in Europe that seeks to unlock the potential of sport for local and regional development through knowledge exchanges and peer-learning activities, with the support of the European Commission.
Early 2018, FESI struck a Cross Industry Agreement with four other European industry associations to address the release of microplastic in the aquatic environment.
Other institutional expert groups of which FESI is part of:
- Expert group on textile names and labelling
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) working group
- Sustainability Leadership Forum
- Trade Contact Group
- Market Access Advisory Committee
- MoU on sale of counterfeit goods via the internet
FESI is also a member of the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry (WFSGI).
*As part of its advocacy activities, FESI is listed in the transparency register of the European institutions.